Staging a home is a term that not many of us would come across unless you are in the market to sell your home. This is a term often used by real estate agents to make sure that you sell your home fast. It makes good marketing sense to make the product attractive so that the buyers get attracted to it. The problem is most home owners think that their home is the best and there is no need to make it more attractive. When you are in the market to sell your home, then and only then will you feel that you should have heeded your real estate agents advice. When I was advised to stage my home I did not heed the realtor’s advice and I could not sell my home for a long time. It set me thinking and I decided to heed the agent’s advice and lo and behold it worked, within a few weeks I had sold my home and moved to a bigger home. What I did while staging my home is given below:
- I have a small lawn but I did not have a hedge on the periphery, my agent advised me to get a hedge and I got it done and it improve the look considerably.
- The driveway was neat but just a few potted plants made the driveway great.
- The external walls were recently painted so the agent asked me to get the main door repainted which I did.
- The living room was cluttered. It had a lot of photographs, a lot of mementoes, furniture etc. The real estate agent immediately asked me to find storage units near me and move the things there. Though I was apprehensive he told me that storage units are safe and my things would be safe there. I found that my things were indeed safe when I went to retrieve them after the sale.
- The drapes were also removed so that air and light could easily pass through. More light and less furniture made the room look larger and spacious.
- The kitchen was particularly looked at with special care. All the appliances were checked by the agent and he asked me to remove a few and get them changed. He asked me to get the oven serviced and the faucet changed.
- The bathroom was fine according the agent. He just asked me to get a couple of tiles changed and this was done.
- The bedroom was fine and no changes were done.
- The whole house was repainted in nice pastel colours.
All the above changes obviously worked.