- Mosquitoes play role as vector of diseases. They carry and pass diseases from one host to another. Some of them can seriously harm you. They can spread dengue fever, yellow fever, malaria, arboviruses, Zika virus, West Nile virus and filariasis.
- Most of the diseases such as dengue fever and chikungunya are spread by female mosquito Aedes aegypti.
- The parasites that cause the spread of malaria are carried by female mosquitoes from the genus Anopheles.
- Dengue fever is quite common in Central America, Caribbean, South Central Asia and South America. It spreads from person to person with mosquito bites. For example if a mosquito is not a career of dengue fever vector and it bites a person who is suffering from dengue fever, the mosquito becomes career after biting that person. That’s how dengue fever spreads. That’s why it is very dangerous. That’s the reason patients of dengue fever are kept in isolation wards so that they are protected from further mosquito bites. Aedes aegypti’s larva needs fresh water to develop. Moreover it needs moderate climate to survive. That’s why it is non-existent in too cold and too hot countries. It is not a deadly disease but lack of proper treatment can result in a patient’s death.
- Mosquitoes can spread West Nile Virus. But this virus is only limited to the United States. There are no statistics across the world.
- Zika is a notorious disease. It is very much deadly. People who suffer from Zika can experience rashes, joint pain as well as conjunctivitis. If a pregnant woman catches Zika, this is the most serious case of all. Among pregnant women, this virus can cause microcephaly which is medical condition which doesn’t let brain of the child develop. Children are born with smaller brains. People who suffer from this disease have intellectual disability. They experience poor speech, seizures, dwarfism and abnormal facial features.
How Do We Control Mosquito Infestation? There are few steps you can take to prevent mosquito infestation.
- Keep your house neat and clean.
- Keep all the places dry. Don’t let water stand in or outside of your home.
- Use mosquito nets at home.
- Use insecticides.
- Use repellents.
But you cannot arrange for nets everyday. You need to find a permanent solution. Therefore you should consult with a professional pest control company such as Empire Pest Defense. They will do a complete home inspection and a customized pest control plan is prepared to target potential threats.