Home improvement is one of the time consuming and intimidating projects as it asks for significant amount of research, analysis and comparison of products and services. Budget, location and climatic conditions have great impact over decision making and it is necessary for homeowners to have better understanding of available options.
No one could make a sound decision until he/she knows the basic terminologies of Edmonton windows and doors. They are basically parts, elements, functions or problems that should be known to everyone. When people have understanding about each and every aspect, it would be quite easy to make a selection. While talking about various considerable aspects, window replacement tops the list and homeowners are required to pay attention on window parts in order to ensure proper services and years of satisfaction as if something goes wrong, appropriate measures can be taken
There are numerous window parts that need to perform well for several years. Here are some important elements to know about:
- Window Pane: A Single glass sheet inserted into a frame. Multiple panes can be joined together to form a large window. Available in various sizes and shapes.
- Window Sill: A piece of trim installed at the bottom of the window. It is responsible to hold everything together and slopes downward for draining water. An ideal place for putting small flower pots.
- Window Sash: The movable part that contains a window pane and is provided with different configurations.
- Sash Lock: It is a two-part system that is used to minimize air infiltration and block entry of burglars. It can be used either with casements or double-hung windows.
- Rails: They are usually available in double-hung window. The part consists of two-horizontal pieces that include upper and lower rails.
- Check Rails: They are also called meeting rails and refer to the form when lower and upper rails come together when opened, closed or locked.
- Jamb: It is responsible to give structural support and is located inside the framing. Rails and tracks are usually placed inside the jambs for proper opening and closing.
- Head: It is also known as head jamb and is basically the horizontal upper part of the frame.
- Casing: It is the interior decorative moulding that covers the space between the jamb and frame along with trimming the Edmonton windows.
- Lift of Double-Hung Windows: It is located at the lower sash and is used to raise the Edmonton windows.
- Stiles: They are an important vertical section of the components, present at both sides of the sash.
- Drip Cap: It refers to the flashing that is made up of sheet metal. It is placed at the head or top jamb to direct water away from the home.
- Frame: It consists of the sill, head and jamb. It is required to provide support to the entire window system.
- Muntins/Grilles: They are small strips of wood and other materials, needed to divide window panels or giving a look of multiple glass panes. They are installed on the glass surface or between double glass panes, for decorative purposes and can be removed whenever required.
- Mullions: They are heavy horizontal or vertical pieces usually found between adjacent Edmonton windows.
Now that homeowners are aware of various parts, things would become easier and they can solve any sort of problem with expert assistance.